- Reusing clean, good quality fabrics is great! Do not reuse fabric that is thinning or stained.
- Please don’t use fabric with pilling on it — animals may suck on the pills.
- Only natural fibres against skin. Breathability and softness are the priority for liners. (Would you swaddle a baby with it? If no, don’t use it.)
- Individual callouts may occasionally ask for something different; refer to this chart for normal sewing.
- Do not use fabric with glitter / plastic coatings, such as plastic backed curtains.
|3D, Porthole, & Hanging Pouch Outer||3D, Porthole, & Hanging Pouch Outer||Joey Pouch Outer||Joey Pouch Inner||Animal Crate Beds||Possum Drey/Cubby||Rescue Basket Kits||Microbat Rescue Bags & Pouches||Bat Wraps|
|100% Cotton Flannelette||Yes||Best||Yes||Best||No||No||Yes||Rescue bag and pouch liner, yes||Yes, only acceptable fabric|
|100% Cotton Quilting Fabric||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Cotton Knit (at least 90% cotton)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Bamboo Fabric||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Rescue bag and pouch liner, yes||No|
|Terry Cloth / Towelling||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Tight Weave Linen||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
|Polar Fleece||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Pouch outer, yes||No|
|Muslin (like baby swaddles)||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Drill Fabric (Cotton/Polyester blend)||Best||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Chenille or polyester “fleece” or sweatshirt material||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Pouch outer, yes||No|
- If using new fabric, remember to wash and put it through the dryer to pre-shrink it.
- For larger sizes of pouches and liners, remember that big babies will be using these, so strength and reinforcement is important.